Microsoft just recently launched a product called Windows XP SE (SE = Special Edition ?. We just called it 'Sunat' Edition. Sunat = circumcised).
Basically it is a lower cost Windows XP (around $30 to $40 only sold to Computer maker/builder and not to public), but has a lot of feature being crippled compare to the original Windows XP.
What features are being circumcised? Actually they are not 'circumcised' but they are new features (for dumb people):
1. It's available only in local language. So in Thailand, it will be in Thai language, and in Indonesia, it will be in Indonesian language. (So far Windows XP SE only launched in these two countries).
Don't let those ppl in Thailand and Indonesia learn English, not even single word such as 'print', 'save', 'open', 'unexpectedly quit', etc. Lets keep them use their own language, so they won't have any competitive advantage (as for example, know a few English words) in this globalization era.
2. Win XP SE only can run a maximum 3 applications at a time. Hmmmm... does spyware, trojan, virus, antivirus, spamblocker, antispyware counted as "application"? If so, then user won't be able to run anything at all!
And, oh yeah, dumb people can't keep track more than 3 opened application at a time. So to prevent a confusion, Microsoft help user by setting this stupid limit.
3. Maximum screen resolution : 800x600. Aparently Microsoft think that Thais and Indonesian are so poor, that most of people here still use 14" monitor. Thais and Indonesian can't afford to buy a 15" CRT, let alone a 20" LCD monitor. Stupid and poor, how pathetic.
4. Unconfigureable Firewall. Yes. Microsoft is smarter than you, you're dumb, so don't mess with the preconfigured firewall. You don't even have any idea what's a firewall is, so bug off and go play solitaire.
5. Single user. Since the users are so dumb, they will always forget their password, so why bother.
6. No Microsoft networking (except TCP/IP). Well... I don't know whether this is good for user or not... but limited networking capability? well, since the target are dumb users, they won't know that's the problem with this limited networking capability anyway.
Thailand and Indonesia are two countries that had the honor as the pilot project for this Windows XP SE (code name : "dumb and dumber").
It's sort of secret pilot project, you can't find this product listed in Microsoft web site. ( http://www.microsoft.com/indonesia/windows/default.asp ). Don't let this word out to dumb peoples. After dumb peoples have feeling too, and they might be upset because they have been given a special treatment by Microsoft.
Indonesian Minister of Communication and Information (menkominfo) attended the launching of WinXP SE, and immidiately commended Bill Gates as the person to first enter the heaven. Wow... some peoples are just dumb beyond belief.
That's why I said that most Indonesian are dumb.... We even has a dumb Minister.
Way to go!
One of my staff is localizing a POS program. We developed the POS program in house, and as a standard we choosed to use English. After a years, some users complained that they are having a hard time understanding the English menu. (So now we are in the process of localizing it.)
One thing that I can't understand is, how hard is it to learn one or two english words (such as 'input', 'inventory', 'cash drawer', etc)? It's not that they are retard or has IQ below a cockroach. They fluently can navigates thru cell phone's menu!!
Only one thing came to my mind, they are just lazy. Thus they will stay dumb... and will for a long time.
A silver lining of this is that their lazy attitude is the thing that will separate us (who are willing to learn), from them (who are not willing to learn).
My staff is learning a great deal of language vocabulary when translating from English to Indonesian. Those lazy users, learn nothing. Good for them.